Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Getting my feet wet

Getting back into reality is such a drag! 
Especially when I know I will be leaving it again on Friday!
Cue comment about up-and-coming cruise!




Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet with my team! In teaching vernacular, "team" refers to the group of teachers who teach in the same grade level. At Bonneville, we do a lot of collaboration with our teams. I love it. We actually let the kids leave about an hour early on Mondays so we can have an hour or so to get together as a team and plan. It makes us unified, accountable, and lends support. 

They are so kind and welcoming. They took time to show me my classroom (so weird to think I have my own classroom!!!), what materials would be staying in the classroom, suggestions of things to purchase, an overview of things they tend to do in 1st grade, etc, etc!

Not going to lie.... I was pretty overwhelmed! The classroom setup and such is a piece of cake. The planning and organizing, however, is a different story. I am not sure most people quite understand how much outside work teachers do. I will need to plan lessons everyday for various content areas, making sure they are in line with Utah's State Core...which is soon changing to the National Core. That's right. We have standards we have to teach. Interested in learning more? Check out UEN.org  :)

This will be a fantastic adventure. I am nervous, but know I am capable! 
This will be a busy, but exciting summer!



P.S. My sister-in-law has a little thing for blog design. She recently did my cousin's blog and made a comment on her blog that she would like to do a few more. I hopped at the opportunity. You might be seeing some changes here at The Little Things in the next little while :)  



1 comment:

  1. So excited that you have your own classroom!! First grade is a lot of fun you are going to love it. If you have any questions or needs I would be happy to help you out. My basement is full of books, (both for the teacher and the student.) teaching materials, and lots of other teaching resources. You are welcome to use any of it since it would great if it was being used instead of collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...