Thursday, March 8, 2012

Compliments

Last week, my roommate and I held a Mary Kay party. One of our friends is just getting started in the business and asked if we would gather some girlfriends up and throw a little party. We had about 3 girls over and we got pampered with facials. It was fun to try new products. As part of the party, Steph, our Mary Kay rep, asked our guests to compliment my roommate and I. It was a little embarrassing, but I felt really great after their kind words!

It was very interesting to see what others notice/think about me. One can always assume they are a good friend, kind to others, etc, but when we get validated on those assumptions, it is wonderful! I realized how wonderful I felt about myself all because these girls just opened their mouths! I thought about how often I thought nice things about others, but didn't pass it on to them. If one simple complement I had could make someone else feel half as good as I did, why not share it???

I have tried to be better at sharing my compliments this week and have seen a difference in my interactions with others and how they act around me. This has been fun to see especially with children.


As a sub, I often have to be a little firmer than I'd prefer, as they love to test their limits and get away with what they can. I have noticed, however, that if I compliment a particular child that is misbehaving (i.e. publicly announcing how I like how he/she is sitting quietly at the rug, what a wonderful handwriting so-and-so is using), it inspires confidence in them to be and act better. I feel that complements can do that for us all!


Now go make someone's day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...