Monday, June 11, 2012

More Prep Work

After a such long week, I have really been looking forward to this week.
I have decided to devote much of this week to cleaning and organizing my classroom. 

I organized two of my bookshelves and all of the classroom books. 


My mom got me a little present :)

The classroom already had a great book system in place. One of the teachers before me had gone through and labeled each book with a colored shape. These labels correspond with a specific reading level. For example, a yellow star means it is a level A book (beginning reader). 

Organizing....

This is helpful because when I have kids pick out books, I can tell them a specific colored shape to choose from. It makes their reading levels private and it makes the book selection process a lot easier.

I went through all the books and reorganized them, as they had gotten quite mixed up throughout the year. I placed a colored shape on each bin and then placed all of the books with that same colored shape on the cover in the each bin.
I was amazed by how many books my room has! 

Getting there...


Baby steps, baby steps!





2 comments:

  1. That IS a ton of books! How much time is spent each day in first grade reading? (out of curiosity)..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach at a extended-day school, so half of my students come at 8 am and leave at 2:15 pm, while the other half come at 9:10 and leave at 3. So about the first and last hour of our day is devoted solely to literacy. We do reading groups, word work, listening centers, etc. The district would like us to have a least a 3 hour block during our school day to literacy (this involves an hour of math). So, it is VERY important in 1st :) They are constantly being read to or reading throughout the day...whether they like it or not :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...